The Raynham Public Library was established in the late nineteenth century when a group of like-minded citizens who wished “to add to the educational advantages of the town” came together to form the Raynham Free Library Association. The Raynham Public Library Association, a non-profit corporation, was formally incorporated in October of 1897.
The Library was first housed in Dean Hall on Johnson’s Pond and then in various locations around town. In 1949, the Library found its permanent home in a small Cape-styled building built at 760 South Main Street. This building was dedicated as the Raynham Memorial Library. In 1961, the lower floor was transformed into a Children’s Room. The facility was expanded twice, in 1971 and 1991, and when the latest addition was completed, it brought the total footage of the Library to 6,288 square feet.
Over 120 years since its founding, the Library has grown from a small book collection to a collection of over 96,000 items, including music, movies, audiobooks, e-books, and electronic databases. In August 2001, the Library became a member of the SAILS Library Network, joining other libraries in Southeast Massachusetts to provide a cooperative catalog and to offer reciprocal borrowing among the member libraries.
At the June 2020 annual Town Meeting, and at the request of the Raynham Public Library Association, residents unanimously voted to permit the Town to take title to the Library building and assume control of its operations. This made the Library an official department of the Town of Raynham.
Throughout its history, the Library has enjoyed the support of the citizens of Raynham who have worked tirelessly on its behalf to ensure that the Library offers materials, programs, and services that benefit and provide opportunities to the community.