Best Genealogy Websites for Beginners
Bristol County Records
See at a glance whether access to core content is FREE or not ($), and what services are offered: H=how to; R=records; S-share your data and T=tools.
- About.com: (H, FREE) Dozens of how-to articles on research basics, online searching.
- Ancestry.com: (H, R, S, $) One of the most popular genealogy subscription databases. Ancestry Library Edition is now AVAILABLE on our library computers! In library use ONLY.
- AfriGeneas: ( H, R, S, FREE) Resources fro those researching African-American roots.
- Archives.com (H, R, S, $) Access to U.S. census records, vital records and old newspapers in the United States. Inexpensive site is a great beginner option.
- Atlas of Historical County Boundaries ( T, FREE) Many genealogical records are created by counties. Enter the date for which you want to see county boundaries.
- BillionGraves.com (R, S, FREE)Search an enormous GPS-tagged database of tombstone images.
- Chronicling America: (R, FREE) The Library of Congress portal to historical newspapers.
- Cyndi’s List: (T, FREE) Extensive lists and links to genealogy resources.
- FamlySearch.org: (H, R, S, FREE) One of the best free online resources available. Millions of indexed records from around the world.
- FamilyTreeMagazines.com: (H, T, FREE/$) Many tools and how to get started articles.
- Find a Grave: (R, S, FREE) Search by individual or cemetery name.
- Findmypast.com: (H, R, S, $) Search record collections from the United Kingdom.
- Fold3.com: (R, S, $) The go-to-source for US military records from the Revolutionary War forward.
- GenealogyBank: (H, R, $) Best known from its historical newspaper collections: obituaries, marriage notices, immigration records, etc.
- General Land Office Records: (H, R, FREE) Access images of more than 5 million land title records dating back to 1820.
- Google (T, FREE) Google Translate helps you to translate text and websites into English. Discover local histories and compiled genealogies.
- JewishGen: (H, R, S, FREE) A first stop for tracing Jewish roots.
- MyHeritage.com: (R, S, FREE/$) Access the major genealogy databases, create a family website.
- National Archives Resources for Genealogist: (H, R, FREE) This is the portal for most US military, census, immigration and other records.
- NewspaperArchive: (R, $) Access more than 120 million newspaper pages dating to 1607.
- USGenWeb Project: (H, R, S, FREE) A directory to websites containing free genealogical resources for every US state and most counties.
Excerpt from article by Sunny Jane Morton, March/April 2013 issue of Family Tree Magazine